The fireplace is probably the last part of your Vancouver home that you think will be susceptible to mold growth. After all, mold thrives in the cold, damp and dark, three things which the fireplace is definitely not. So how could mold possibly grow there, right?
Unfortunately, this couldn’t be further from the truth. The reality is that it’s not uncommon to find mold growing in fireplaces. The reason mold is able to grow in that part of your home is because rainwater has the uncanny ability to reach even the most unusual places, which includes brick crevices inside your fireplace. Furthermore, damaged flashing and chimney caps let in snow and rain, making the location even more conducive to mold growth.